This is the HUMA3 archive, where to find art news published up to August 2015. To read the more recent ones, please visit HUMA3.com
Huma3 collaborates with
On this day in
1494 - was born the Italian mannerist painter Jacopo da Pontormo
1897- Dies the cuban writer José Martí.
1930 Director Claude Chabrol was born in Paris France
1974 - Dies the american musician Duke Ellington
The Museums’ Center of Buenos Aires, located in a historical building (Munich brewery former site) of Puerto Madero, is the site of Museum General Direction from 2002. The Center coordinates the activities of the Buenos Aires Museums Network and organizes exhibitions, conferences and other cultural activities in order to promote interest and cooperation between the city museums.
The Museum of Contemporary Art of La Plata, Argentina (MACLA), opened in 1999, is located in the Cultural Centre Pasaje Dardo Rocha in the heart of La Plata. The Museum’s heritage includes almost 500 works by 190 Latin American authors dating from the 50’s to to the present day.
The MALBA (Latin American Art Museum of Buenos Aires) was designed in 1998 and opened in September 2001 in the new Figueroa Alcorta building in the barrio of Palermo. It houses the collection created by Eduardo F. Costantini that is the patrimony of the Eduardo F. Costantini Foundation and consists of a selection of more than two hundred works, including drawings, paintings, sculptures and objects by Argentinean and Latin American artists dating from the early 20th Century to the present day. In the museum various cultural activities take place: many activities related with cinema, concerts, educational programs and face to face encounters with writers and artists.
The Museo Casa Carlos Gardel opened in the Abasto district in 2003 in the former house of the singer Carlos Gardel and his mother, an example of a traditional house with a single floor, although it was modified when it was site of La Casa del Tango. The Museum illustrate Gardel life and career, tango and city history.
The Museum is located in the Belgrano district, in the former house of the Argentine writer Enrique Larreta, who, with the help of architect Martín Noel, transformed his house in an example of neocolonial spanish architecture surrounded by an Andalusian garden. The museum collection, created during the drafting of his novel "La gloria de Don Ramiro", consists primarily of 16th and 17th century paintings, sculptures, furniture, ceramics and diverse objects representative of Spain.
The museum’s name came from the founder Isaac Fernández Blanco, who created the first collection, previously located in the family’s house. From 1947 the museum is located on Suipacha, near Avenida Libertador, in Retiro’s barrio, in the neocolonial-style Palacio Noel, the residence of architect Martín Noel. The museum’s collection consists primarily of silverwork, imagery, paintings, furniture, books and documents that belonged to Don Isaac Fernández Blanco and it incorporated also other collections like the architect Martín Noel’s one. In the museum there is also a library.
The Museum was created in 1956 by Rafael Squirru, but it took quiet a long time to find the building in Corrientes 1530. From 1986 the museum is set in what once was a cigarette factory in calle San Juan in San Telmo district, but it will be soon moved in calle Defensa 1220 toghether with the Cinema Museum. It houses a fine collection of argentinean and international modern art. In the museum there is a modern art specialized library with an important documental archive.
The Museum is located in Palermo district and is devoted to the preservation of the testimonies from the multiple variants of the Argentine folkloric and traditional heritage from the second half of the XX century to to the present day. The museum also has an archivi and a technical library.
The Museo de Artes Plásticas Eduardo Sívori was born in 1938 as the Museo Municipal de Bellas Artes, Artes Aplicadas y Anexo de Artes Comparadas and, in 1948, obtained its actual name in honor of the painter Eduardo Sívori. The Museum is located in front of Rosedal bridge in the Tres de Febrero Park and it houses a noteworthy collection of XIX and XX centuries paintings, sculptures, drawings and tapestries. The Museum organizes the Salón Manuel Belgrano, the Bienal de Tapiz and the Festival del Color Benito Quinquela Martín and the building consists of a great exhibition hall, another hall for temporaries exhibitions, an autdoor space for sculptures, a library and an archive, multifunctional spaces, restoration and photo laboratories and a little amphitheatre.
The Museo de Bellas Artes de La Boca “Benito Quinquela Martín” is clearly located in the famous La Boca district in front of the Riachuelo River. The building, where in 1936 the Pedro de Mendoza School and Cultural Centre was inaugurated, was donated by the painter Benito Quinquela Martín (1890-1977), who realized the mural paintings. The museum began its activity in 1938 and exhibits the most important collection of paintings by Benito Quinquela Martin and many works by argentinean figurative painters of the first half of the XX century. Moreover the Museum offers an exhibition of ship figureheads.
The Museo de Esculturas Luis Perlotti is located in Caballito district, in the house, decorated by the painter Benito Quinquela Martín, where the sculptor Luis Perlotti (1890-1969) lived in Buenos Aires. The Museum heritage, donated to the city of Buenos Aires in 1976, includes the works by Luis Perlotti and other important sculptors. The museum also has a gallery for temporaries exhibitions of invited sculptors, a picture gallery and a technical library.
The Museo de la Ciudad de Buenos Aires was created in 1968 and it found its final location in 1973 in an area that includes buildings from different periods in Alsina 412 in the Monserrat district. The heterogeneous museum collections illustrate the the everyday life of porteños. Among the various activities the Museum organize the San Telmo Fair, The Arts Fair and temporary fairies like the Antique Book Fair, the April Fair, the Metals and the Clothing Fair.
The Museo Nacional Estancia Jesuítica de Alta Gracia y Casa del Virrey Liniers is located in the city of Alta Gracia, in the surroundings of Córdoba. The Museum is set in an antique residence of the XVII century which formed the mains of the Jesuit Estancia of Alta Gracia, declared National Monument in 1941 and Unesco Human Heritage in 2000. This house museum has an auditorium, a library and seventeen galleries that illustrate the way of life of the people from Cordoba and the hills had among the XVII, XVIII and XIX centuries.
The Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes (National Fine Arts Museum) is located in Avenida Libertador in La Recoleta. The large neoclassical building, which was the city’s waterworks station at one time, was established in 1933. Its permanent collection includes artworks dating from XIII to XX century, the international ones located in the low ground and the Argentinean ones in the upper level. There is also an important art library. In the second floor are located the hall dedicated to photography and sculpture.
The house where the painter Alejandro Xul Solar (Oscar Agustín Alejandro Schulz Solari, 1887-1963) lived till death, located in Laprida 1212 in the Palermo district, is today the museum directed by the the Pan Klub Foundation created in 1986 by Micaela Cadenas and Natalio J. Povarché following the original plans of Xul Solar. The Museum, opened in 1993, exhibits 86 works, objects and documents by Xul Solar in permanent exhibition. The Museum's building was designed by the argentinean arquitect Pablo T. Beitía, modifyng the original house in accordance with the painter’s images and ideas.