This is the HUMA3 archive, where to find art news published up to August 2015. To read the more recent ones, please visit HUMA3.com
Huma3 collaborates with
On this day in
1494 - was born the Italian mannerist painter Jacopo da Pontormo
1897- Dies the cuban writer José Martí.
1930 Director Claude Chabrol was born in Paris France
1974 - Dies the american musician Duke Ellington
The Hungarian National Gallery is the largest public collection documenting and presenting the rise and development of the fine arts in Hungary. It has operated as an independent institution since 1957. The Hungarian National Gallery moved to its present location, the former Royal Palace of Buda, in 1975.
The entire collection was a donation from Peter Ludwig (hence the name) in 1989. Once again, the setting of the museum is spectacular, situated as it is in one of the wings of the Castle. Highlights: Picasso’s Matador and Nude. There is also a section devoted to Pop Art and a new collection of modern Hungarian work.
Kiscelli Museum was founded in 1889 as the fine art collection of Budapest. From 1963 the MPG began to collect art again in a new place calls Kiscelli Múzeum. As the branch museum of the Budapest Historical Museum collects 20th century fine art, and specialised for contemporary art.
The Museum of Fine Arts (Szépművészeti Múzeum) has an impressive collection, made up of international art (other than Hungarian), including all periods of European art, and comprises more than 100,000 pieces. The collection is made up of various older additions such as those from Buda Castle, the Esterhazy and Zichy estates, as well as donations from individual collectors. The Museum’s collection is made up of six departments: Egyptian, Antique, Old sculpture gallery, Old painter gallery, Modern collection, Graphics collection.
The Museum of Ethnography’s current permanent exhibition entitled "Folk Culture of the Hungarians" depicts the everyday life and festivals of the Hungarian peasantry in a display occupying thirteen rooms. Items on exhibition were collected between the end of the 18th century and World War II from territories inhabited by ethnic Hungarians. The exhibition was refurbished in the year of the museum’s anniversary and, with the addition of new multimedia technologies, has been made more colourful and spectacular than ever before.