This is the HUMA3 archive, where to find art news published up to August 2015. To read the more recent ones, please visit HUMA3.com
Huma3 collaborates with
On this day in
1494 - was born the Italian mannerist painter Jacopo da Pontormo
1897- Dies the cuban writer JosÚ MartÝ.
1930 Director Claude Chabrol was born in Paris France
1974 - Dies the american musician Duke Ellington
Located in the prestigious heritage premises of Manikyavelu Mansion, the NGMA Bengaluru branch was inaugurated by the Honourable Union Minister of Culture and Tourism, Mrs. Ambika Soni on February 18. Over 90 years old, the Manikyavelu Mansion on Palace Road was once the property of the Mysore royal family. The mansion later came to be owned by Raja Manikayavalu Mudaliar, a mine owner. It was taken over by the State Government in the late sixties, who then offered it to the Ministry of Culture in July 1989 for setting up of a modern art Museum at Bengaluru by NGMA. The foundation stone for the museum was laid in 2001.
Only the facade remains of the edifice that was formerly the auditorium known as the Sir Cowasji Jehangir Public Hall. The interior with its elegant horse - shoe shaped balconies now exhibits a different look as the hollow interior exhibits a central stairway with semicircular galleries at different levels. Sir C. J. Hall, as it was popularly known, has become transformed into the National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai