This is the HUMA3 archive, where to find art news published up to August 2015. To read the more recent ones, please visit HUMA3.com
Huma3 collaborates with
On this day in
1494 - was born the Italian mannerist painter Jacopo da Pontormo
1897- Dies the cuban writer José Martí.
1930 Director Claude Chabrol was born in Paris France
1974 - Dies the american musician Duke Ellington
The Colosseum (Colosseo), the most famous monument in Rome, was originally known as the Amphitheatrum Flavium. It is a giant amphitheatre used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles in the ancient Rome. It was built on a site just east of the Roman Forum, with construction starting between 70 and 72 AD and completed in 80 AD under Titus emperor.
The Biblioteca Nazionale Marciana (National Library of St Mark’s, patron of Venice)is one of the biggest and earliest public manuscript depositories in Italy, with about a million printed books, incunabula and lluminated manuscripts
The most significant Medieval complex in Turin was inicitally built as a pavilion to house a national exhibition, in 1884. The Village was designed by the architect and archeologist Alfredo d’Andrade, re-adapting architectural models and decorations studied and tracked down in the old towns of the Region.
Palazzo Pesaro, the most important baroque palace in the city, was the work of Baldassarre Longhena . Recently restored to designs by Boris Podrecca, it now houses a museum with the city’s collections of nineteenth- and twentieth-century painting and sculpture. These include masterpieces by Klimt and Chagall, major works by such artists as Kandinsky, Klee, Matisse and Moore, a rich selection of works by Italian artists and an important collection of graphics. A combined entrance ticket allows access to Ca’ Pesaro International Gallery of Modern Art and the Oriental Art Museum.
Housed in the Palazzo Rezzonico designed by Longhena and Massari, this contains important 18th-century Venetian paintings by such artists as Tiepolo, Rosalba Carriera, Longhi, Canaletto and the Guardi together with valuable examples of period furnishings. Amongst recent major donations, the most noteworthy is that made by Egidio Martini, which added a further 300 works to the collection. These aquisitions include paintings by Cima da Conegliano, Alvise Vivarini, Bonifacio de’ Pitati, Sebastiano and Marco Ricci and more.
Visiting the museum of the Casa Buonarroti allow to contmeplate several early works by Michelangelo contained within its walls including the Madonna of the Stairs and the Battle of the Centaurs. Also, paintings, sculptures, majolicas and the archaeological sections arranged on the museum’s two floors
Casa dei Carraresi appears us today as an impressive Romanesque building made by rough bricks; the main façade is typified by an arcade with five round arches leaning on stone columns and the halls of the ground floor receive the outside light from them.
Prestige meetings, conferences and international exhibitions happen in this building complex formed by two houses, recently restored.
The birth-place of the famous playwright is in The birthplace of the famous playwright, Palazzo Centani in San Polo houses a small Goldoni museum with Venetian theatrical memorabilia. It plays host to various teaching activities and also contains the famous puppet-theatre from Ca’ Grimani ai Servi, formerly part of the Ca’ Rezzonico collection. Of especial importance are the archive and library (over 30,000 works), with theatrical texts, studies and original manuscripts.
In the very rooms where Johann Wolfgang von Goethe stayed during his journey to Italy (1786-1788) with the painter Johann Heinrich Wilhelm Tischbein and other German artists, the Casa di Goethe, Germany’s only museum on foreign soil has been opened in 1997. The permanent exhibition has been explains Goethe’s journey and his sojourn in Rome. The standing exhibitions are dedicated often to German-Italian subjects and the tradition of the journey to Italy, and offers many cultural events in German and Italian such as talks, readings and colloquiums.
Castello D’Albertis, residence of the Captain Enrico Alberto D’Albertis, houses an ethnographical and archaeological collection gathered by the Captain during his trips to Africa, America and Oceania: miniatures of boats, plus nautical instruments and maps, photographs, preparatory drawing of sundials, volumes from his library and hundreds of drawings for the construction of the neo-gothic complex. Also, african weapons, Chinese spears and European halberds.
The museum preserves a vast and varied heritage of works of art. Some masterpieces are not usually available to public viewing for preservation reasons. The higlights: fragment of material, figuring Hercules or Samson Sec. VIII-IX C; erbario-ricettario (herbal/recipe book) last quarter of XV century; a pair of earrings
first decades of the VII century
The history if the new exhibition space for the Musei Capitolini in the former Giovanni Montemartini Thermoelectric Centre, an extraordinary example of industrial archaeology converted into a museum, began in 1997 with the transfer of hundreds of sculptures to the new location during the restructuring works carried out across much of the Capitoline complex.
The monumental complex of Santa Maria della Pace consists of the cloister, convent and church, projects carried out in Rome by Bramante. The exhibitory spaces encompass three floors for a total area of one thousand three hundred square meters. The Highlights: Raffaello's Le Sibille which are considered among the greatest works of the artist, as well as the masterpieces by Baldasarre Peruzzi, Rosso Fiorentino, Simone Mosca and other great artists.
The Peggy Guggenheim Collection is the most important museum in Italy for European and American art of the first half of the 20th century. It is located in Peggy Guggenheim’s former home, Palazzo Venier dei Leoni, on the Grand Canal in Venice. The museum was inaugurated in 1980 and it presents Peggy Guggenheim’s personal collection of 20th century art, masterpieces from the Gianni Mattioli Collection, the Nasher Sculpture Garden, as well as temporary exhibitions.
"Il Vittoriano" is monument named after Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoy, first king of Italy; it was inaugurated in 1911 in his honour. The building houses the Museum of the Risorgimento.
The Nicola Trussardi Foundation is a no profit institution for the promotion of contemporary art and culture. Neither a museum nor a collection, the Trussardi Foundation acts as an agency for the production and the diffusion of contemporary art in a wide variety of contexts and channels.
The State collection of Modern and Contemporary Art gathers about 750 works, ranging from the early decades of the 20th century to present time and divided up according to the various art disciplines: painting, drawing, water colour painting, sculpture, photography. Works by internationally renowned artists such as Renato Guttuso, Corrado Cagli, Emilio Vedova, Achille Perilli, Enzo Mari, Enzo Cucchi, Sandro Chia, Gian Marco Montesano and Luigi Ontani.
The Gallery in Rome holds a large number of XVII century masterpieces, such as works by Caravaggio, Annibale Carracci, Guido Reni, Guercino, Jan Bruegel, Jusepe Ribera, Velázquez, Claude Lorrain, Gaspard Dughet and important Renaissance pieces by Titian, Raphael, Garofalo, Lorenzo Lotto, Pieter Bruegel, Correggio, Parmigianino. There are also the marble busts (several executed by Alessandro Algardi and Gian Lorenzo Bernini), and a large corpus of antique sculptures, from archaic times to the Hellenistic period.
Rising behind the Pitti Palace are the beautiful Boboli Gardens. They were originally designed for the Medici and are one of the earliest examples of the Italian Garden which later inspired those of many European courts. The gardens extend over a vast area forming an open-air museum with antique and Renaissance statues, grottoes and large fountains.
Once a large industrial complex built at the beginning of the 20th century, MACRO’s main site is now a dynamic centre of cultural activity which presents, besides the temporary exhibitions, its permanent collection with a selection of some of the most significant expressions characterizing the Italian art scene since the 1960s: . Works by Italian artists of international repute illustrate how Italian nationals have figured along-side key protagonists of the international art world during recent years. Works by Claudio Abate, Gregorio Botta, Paolo Carnevari, Ettore Colla, Mimmo Rotella .
The Museums’ collections are displayed in the two of the three buildings enclosing the Piazza del Campidoglio: Palazzo dei Conservatori, Palazzo Nuovo and Palazzo Senatorio. The Palazzo Nuovo houses the collections of ancient sculpture: busts of Roman philosophers and emperors, the statue of Capitoline Gaul, the Capitoline Venus, and the Marforio. The Conservators’ Apartment contains the ancient Capitoline bronzes as the Capitoline She-wolf. On the first floor of the palace, a huge glass room contains the equestrian statue of Marcus Aurelius and on the second floor, the Capitoline Picture Gallery contains many important works, as paintings by Caravaggio and Guercino.
Villa Torlonia, the most recent of the villas belonging to Rome’s nobility, still retains a particular fascination due to the originality of its English-style garden (one of the few examples in the city), and to the unexpectedly large number of buildings and garden furniture in the grounds.
ARCOS is the first contemporary art museum in Sannio. A new platform ready to welcome the national and international artistic practices, both emerging or consolidated. A location for culture promotion, a didactic lab, an art factory.
The permanent collection of the Museo Carlo Bilotti consists of the gift of 22 works, including paintings, drawings and sculptures. The most coherent and central group is made up of 18 works by Giorgio de Chirico. Other works are: the portraits of Tina and Lisa Bilotti, 1981, by Andy Warhol and Carlo with Dubuffet in the background, 1994, by Larry Rivers the painting The Summer by Gino Severini and finally a large Cardinal in bronze by Giacomo Manzù
The Museum houses an extraordinarily rich collection of precious objects, many of which were commissioned by members of the Medici family. The works of art range from Florentine workmanship to other schools and countries and include rock crystal vases and works in pietre dure (semi-precious stones), ivory, gems, cameos, silver, carpets, clocks and chinoiserie. The Museum is situated in the left wing of the Pitti Palace on the ground floor and in the first mezzanine. The state rooms, which formed part of the grand-ducal summer apartment, are decorated with important 17th-century frescoes.
The collection comprises about fifty instruments, dating from the late 17th to early 19th centuries, formerly belonging to members of the Medici and Lorraine families, which later passed to the Cherubini Conservatory of Florence. Since 1966 they have been deposited on loan to the Accademia Gallery where they are currently displayed. The Museum also has two rare instruments by Bartolomeo Cristofori, the inventor of the piano, and the oldest vertical piano in existence.
The Ara Pacis Augustae was erected by emperor Augustus between 13 and 9 a.C. to celebrate the peace established throughout the Roman Empire. The altar stands within a marble enclosure. The museum space was designed by the architect Richard Meier: visitors pass through the access gallery, an area in shadow, to reach the central pavilion which holds the Ara Pacis in full natural light filtered through 500 square metres of crystal panels.
The Porcelain Museum houses the most beautiful porcelain of Europe, bought by Pietro Leopoldo and Ferdinand III: this collection was enriched by the arrival of other porcelain from the historical palaces of Parma, Piacenza and Sala Baganza which, from 1860, had been “sacked” to furnish the Royal Apartments of the Savoia Family in the Pitti
Palace in Florence. The Museum is located in the 18th century building called the Palazzina del Cavaliere at the top of the Boboli Gardens. In this pavilion of delights, the Accademici del Cimento gathered and Gian Gastone de Medici took French lessons.
The permanent collection of the Museum of Capodimonte grew out of the complex historical, artistic and cultural events that characterised the whole territory of the South of Italy from the end of the 13th century through to the end of the 20th century.
The original core is the prestigious Farnese collection, progressively integrated by the acquisitions made first under the Borbone and Savoia dynasties and then in the 150 years that have elapsed since the Unification of Italy. The various collections are completed by a section featuring works of contemporary art created specifically for the museum: Capodimonte is unique amongst European museums for its combination of old masters and the most recent artistic exploits.
The museum’s layout, stretching over three floors and occupying more than 110 rooms, enables visitors to grasp the way the permanent collection has built up. You begin from the piano nobile with the Galleria Farnese and the Appartamento Reale, followed by the second floor with the section of the arts in Naples, and then come to the third floor with the collections of 19th century paintings and contemporary art.
The Museum of Rome holds a wide varity of articles linked in many ways to the story of the city from medieval times to the first half of the 20th century. Collections range from the production of furniture, carriages and sedan chairs to architectural and urban elements. There are mosaics and frescoes salved from demolition and medieval ceramics, woodcuts for fabrics made in the 18th and 19th centuries as well as clothes and tapestries from the same era.
Also, a noteworthy collection of paintings produced between the 16th and 18th centuries by Andrea Sacchi, Pierre Subleyras, Pier Leone Ghezzi, Marco Benefial and Pompeo Batoni, and the sculptures from the Middle Ages to the 19th century.
The Museum, restored in 1976, became a museum of Roman folklore and poetry, displaying material on the Roman people and their traditions. In the year 2000 the museum was reopened to public with the name of The Museum of Rome in Trastevere, adapted to current museological needs: temporary exhibitions such asphotography, shows, conferences and concerts. The museum’s permanent exhibition features costumes and elements related with the folk dancing, festivals (both religious and secular) and crafts.
Count Giuseppe Primoli, cultured man, passionately interested in books and a talented photographer, lived between Rome and Paris, and was closely involved with the literary and artistic circles in both cities. He was, therefore, an interesting intellectual figure and collector, who, through important family gifts and knowledgable acquisitions on the antiques markets, was able to offer the city of Rome this elegant example of a museum-house.
The Museum has a remarkable collection of sculpture and works of art. Since 1865 the palazzo houses the National Museum, bringing together many important Renaissance sculptures, including masterpieces by Donatello, Luca della Robbia, Verrocchio, Michelangelo and Cellini. The museum was subsequently enriched with splendid collections of bronzes, majolica, waxes, enamels, medals, seals, ivories, amber, tapestries, furniture and textiles from the Medici collections and those of private donors.
The Palace of Caserta is a former royal residence in Caserta, constructed for the Bourbon kings of Naples. It was the largest palace and probably the largest building erected in Europe in the eighteenth century. In 1996, the Palace of Caserta was listed among the World Heritage Sites on the grounds that it was "the swan song of the spectacular art of the Baroque, from which it adopted all the features needed to create the illusions of multidirectional space"
Palazzo della Signoria, better known as Palazzo Vecchio, has been the symbol of the civic power of Florence for over seven centuries. Built between the end of the thirteenth century and the beginning of the fourteenth to house the city’s supreme governing body, the Priori delle Arti and the Gonfalonier of Justice, over time it has been subject to a series of extensions and transformations. Its current appearance is mainly due to the splendid restoration work and interior decoration carried out in the mid-sixteenth century to adapt the building to its new function as ducal palace as ordered by Cosimo I de’ Medici. After the transfer of the Medici court to Palazzo Pitti, it continued to host the Guardaroba (where the ceremonial costumes and family treasures were stored) and various governmental offices, until it became the seat of the Florence City Council in 1871.
With its triangular shape, Punta della Dogana split the Grand Canal from the Giudecca Canal. As center for contemporary art , the former monumental port of the city present a permanent exhibition of works from François Pinault Collection.